Which is faster: a train or a bicycle? That was the pressing question between two competitive brothers who raced each other from Durango to Silverton.
In 1971, cycling enthusiast Tom Mayer was living in Durango and loved riding the roads in the area. His brother, Jim, was a brakeman on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. One day they bet a candy bar to see who would reach Silverton first: Tom on his 10-speed or Jim on the Durango train. Jim was surprised to pull into the Silverton station to see Tom waiting for him.
That famous ride birthed Tom’s idea to turn it into a race, and now the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic has been a favorite Durango bike race since 1972. This year will be the 47th year of the classic road race that includes three days of events over Memorial Day weekend:
Friday, May 25, 2018
- 3-7 p.m. — Final Packet Pickup Buckley Park
- Narrow Horse Swim
- 3-8 p.m. — Steamworks Faceplant Party with beer, live music, vendors and bike parade at Buckley Park in downtown Durango
- Iron BMX
Saturday, May 26, 2018
- 7:30 a.m. — Durango Coca-Cola Road Race
- 8 a.m. — McDonald’s Citizens Tour to Silverton
- 8:15 a.m. — Quarter Horse to Purgatory
- MBS King/Queen of Mountain (Road & MTB Omnium)
- 3-7 p.m. — Bike pickup at Durango High School
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. — Silverton Finish Line Festival will feature a beer garden, food, vendors and racing at Memorial Park in Silverton
- 10 a.m. — Kid’s Treasure Hunt at Memorial Park in Silverton
- 12:30 p.m. — Veterans Memorial Ceremony, Memorial Park in Silverton
Sunday May 27, 2018
- 9 a.m. start — La Strada La Plata Gravel Ride
- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. (category times vary) — Morehart Murphy Subaru MTB Race
- 8 a.m. (registration) — Sprite Kids Race & Alpine Kids Village
- 9 a.m.-3 p.m. — Alpine Bank Kids Village
- 1-4 p.m. — BP BMX Straight Rhythm
- 5 p.m. — Durango Cyclery Cruiser Crit
- Durango downtown bike festival will include kids festival with fun activities, live music, vendors and racing and copper mug specials around town.
Whether you’re in Durango to compete in the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic, to support an athlete or simply to enjoy the festivities, stay with us at the Durango Econo Lodge Inn & Suites! We’re one of the best Durango hotels for this event. We’re located only half a mile north of Buckley Park, which is a straight shot on Main Avenue. The Econo Lodge Durango is under new ownership, so come check us out and reserve your room today!